Stakeholders propose ICD-10 changes, CMS invites public comment
CMS hosted an ICD-10 Coordination and Maintenance Committee meeting March 6-7 to discuss proposed updates to ICD-10-CM/PCS for implementation on October 1, 2018, and beyond.
The first day of the meeting was devoted to modifications to ICD-10-PCS and led by CMS. The second day was devoted to ICD-10-CM updates and led by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
Providers have until April 6 to submit comments on code proposals made during the March meetings. Other important dates in the code update process include:
- April (day to be decided), the IPPS proposed rule will be published in the Federal Register. It will include finalized 2019 ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS codes, and proposed revisions to the MS-DRG system based on ICD-10-CM/PCS codes. The proposed rule will be found here.
- July 13, the deadline for submitting topics for review at the September 11-12 coordination and maintenance committee meeting.
- August 1, IPPS final rule to be published in the Federal Register.
- August 3, online registration opens for the September 11-12, 2018 ICD-10 Coordination and Maintenance Committee meeting.
- October 1, additions and revisions to ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS codes go into effect along with DRG changes.
More detailed information on ICD-10 Coordination and Maintenance Committee and upcoming ICD-10-related events can be found in the agenda from the March meeting. Click here to view videos of last week’s meetings.