Q&A: Disclosing proof of immunization

October 15, 2020
Medicare Web

Q: In many school districts, children are required to complete immunizations before beginning school. Does a healthcare provider need to obtain consent from a parent to disclose proof of the student's immunization to the school district?

A: Yes, written authorization from a minor’s parent or legal guardian is required to disclose immunization records to the child’s school. Or you can give the immunization records directly to the parent or guardian and let that individual provide the information to the school.

Editor's note: Mary D. Brandt, MBA, RHIA, CHE, CHPS is a healthcare consultant specializing in healthcare regulatory compliance and operations improvement. She is also an advisory board member for BOH. This information does not constitute legal advice. Consult legal counsel for answers to specific privacy and security questions. Opinions expressed are those of the author and do not represent HCPro or ACDIS. Email your HIPAA questions to editor Kevin Duffy at kduffy@hcpro.com.

Related Topics: 
Ask the Expert, HIPAA