CMS expands list of COVID-related services eligible for modifier -CS
CMS recently added a half dozen codes to the list of services that may be reported with HCPCS modifier -CS (cost-sharing), which requires Medicare to cover beneficiary cost-sharing during office visits and other encounters for the duration of the COVID-19 public health emergency.
The update adds the following HCPCS Level II codes to the list, effective for Medicare claims with dates of service on or after January 1:
- G2250, remote assessment of recorded video and/or images submitted by an established patient, including interpretation with follow-up with the patient within 24 business hours, not originating from a related service provided within the previous seven days nor leading to a service or procedure within the next 24 hours or soonest available appointment
- G2251, brief communication technology-based service by a qualified healthcare professional who cannot report E/M services, provided to an established patient, not originating from a related service provided within the previous seven days nor leading to a service or procedure within the next 24 hours or soonest available appointment; 5-10 minutes of clinical discussion
- G2252, …; 11-20 minutes of medical discussion
In addition, CMS will also allow modifier -CS to be appended to the following CPT codes for online assessment services:
- 98970, qualified nonphysician healthcare professional online digital assessment and management, for an established patient, for up to 7 days, cumulative time during the 7 days; 5-10 minutes
- 98971, ...; 11-20 minutes
- 98972, …; 21 or more minutes
Modifier -CS may be reported with range of office and other outpatient services; hospital observation services, emergency department services, online digital E/M services, and others. Additional information on modifier -CS is available here.